Sunday, March 11, 2007

Tipu Sultan's Palace...

I'm finding that Bangalore doesn't really have many tourist sites to see. It just has small pockets of little temples and "palaces" sprinkled around.

But interestingly enough, this was the first destination that I visited which had a real ticket booth. Maybe this was going to be something a few notches above other sites I visited. My driver told me not to spend 100 rupees on it - there wasn't much to see...but I figured -- that's only $2 - I can live with that.





"The Fort and Tipu Sultan's Palace was the summer residence of Tipu Sultan. It is a two-storied carved wooden structure, eminent for its gorgeous carved arches, pillars, and balcony haunches by gardens on either side, an ideal specimen of Islamic style of architecture. The fort also houses a well-preserved Ganapati temple. It was initially constructed in 1537 by Kempe Gowda later on it was further extended and fortified by Tipu Sultan."








But even more facinating than the palace, is this smoldering fire burning in front of the palace. What's up with that?

No comments:

Travel Blogs - Blog Top Sites